Tuesday 11 September 2007

Discipline

One of the problems of going back into full-time education is that I'm remembering just how good I was at procrastination and work-avoidance the last time around. It's scary to think about, as the stakes are higher this time.

Hopefuly the presence of a loving disciplinarian in my life may help. Being accountable to someone else, knowing that someone else is cheering me on and willing me to do well, but is also ready to step in and set me back on the right path if I fall off the wagon (to mix my metaphors), is a great comfort.

We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. Now *that* is an intriguing opening to a new blog!

    I really like the description of the role of the disciplinarian in "cheering you on" - too often, people focus solely purely on their helping hand should correction be needed.

    Fascinated to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Abel. Actually that line's written the way it is because of a quick email exchange I had with Haron just this evening about studying! I'm determined to do well but it is a daunting prospect, I haven't been a student for a number of years now and I wasn't particularly good at it to start with. Punishment is probably inevitable, but I really don't think it would be as effective without getting some praise and rewards as well when they're earned.

    ReplyDelete